GET REEL! Education Film Field Trips
Explore the World at the Providence Children’s Film Festival
Special Field Trip and Group Screenings for Students
Each February, Providence Children’s Film Festival (PCFF) presents the best of independent and international children’s film to families across our region during our annual Festival. We are delighted to invite educators, schools and youth groups to join us for special weekday screenings of exceptionally curated films.
Our thematic compilations of short films from around the world offer an exciting field trip opportunity! Each curated collection is filled with compelling and innovative stories designed for various age groups that will inspire creative and critical thinking in all of our young audiences. The two-hour programs include: an introduction by our ebullient programmer; the screening of a thematically-designed short film reel; lively post-screening discussion; ballots for audiences to vote for their favorite films; an announcement of the winners; and useful film guides to go home with your group that encourage further reflection and suggest activities to keep the conversations and creativity going!
Click on image for short film program details.
In addition to the short film programs, foreign language feature films are available upon request.
- Film programs may be tailored for elementary, middle school and/or high school age youth. Please specify age range on the booking form.
- Field trips take place at RISD Museum/Metcalf Auditorium in Providence (easily accessible by public transportation, walking distance from Greater Kennedy Plaza and can accommodate bus drop-off)
- Total program runtime is 2 hours (screening is approx. 1 hour)
- $6/student and free admission* for teachers and chaperones (*details here)
- Transportation must be arranged by school
- Click here for complete FAQs
All Programs Include
- Ballots for audience voting
- Post-screening discussion with PCFF Director of Programming, filmmakers, Festival staff, and/or special guests
- Customized film guides
What’s in a Film Guide?
- Background information about each film
- Discussion topics to foster deeper connections between the students and the films they have seen
- Media literacy writing prompts that invite students to think critically, expressively and creatively
- Hands-on activities to inspire kids to express their own ideas and opinions
- A glossary of relevant filmmaking, artistic and content-driven terms
Your students will watch thoughtful, inspiring films as they were meant to be seen–in community, on the big screen!
Can’t make it to these dates? The time you want is sold out? We can bring the Festival to you through our Festival on the Road program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details about this exciting film series delivered to your school, classroom or community center.