2018 Festival FAQs
Welcome to the 9th annual Providence Children’s Film Festival. General information about tickets, venues, special events, and educational activities can be found below.
Tickets may be obtained online beginning in late January or at the door. Avoid sold-out shows by purchasing tickets online, in advance! Online ticket sales end at 12:01 AM the day of show; remaining tickets will be available at the venue (cash/credit accepted). A transaction fee of $3.75 will be applied to the total order at checkout (online only); free screenings excluded.
- $8 Youth (under 18)
- $8 Seniors (65 and older)
- $10 Adults
OPENING NIGHT: (February 16, 5:30pm-9:00pm) includes party and film screening:
- $20 Adult / $12 Youth, no discounts apply. Includes delicious light snacks and beverages provided by Campus Fine Wines and Amos House: More Than A Meal Catering.
Film Fanatic 10-Pack ($75): The Film Fanatic Pass gives you flexibility and excellent value. Purchase online until Feb. 12 or at the Festival box office Feb. 16-25. Redeem for film tickets at the venue box office on the day of show. Admission depends on available seating; pass does not guarantee seating. Not valid on Opening Night.
New in 2018! Field Trips ($6/student): Inspire your students at a Festival field trip! Private weekday screenings during the Festival include lively film discussions and tailored film guides to help you continue the conversation to the classroom. Click here for booking details.
All-Access Pass ($175): For film lovers who don’t want to miss a thing, the All-Access Pass admits you to all screenings. Purchase online until Feb. 12 or at the Festival box office Feb. 16-25. Redeem for film tickets at the venue box office on the day of show. Admission depends on available seating; pass does not guarantee seating. Not valid on Opening Night.
There is a $3.75 processing fee for online pass purchases.
We are pleased to offer ADMISSION-FREE screenings of select films during the Festival, as noted on the schedule. Due to the popularity of these shows, online ticket reservations are recommended. To guarantee your seat, please check in at least 15 minutes before showtime. After that time, unclaimed seats will be released to other patrons.
We love our audiences! Here’s a sweet deal for festival goers: receive a Patron Perk Card with your box office ticket to receive discounts from the following businesses (including generous discounts from many Thayer Street merchants) on February 17-19 and 24-25:
- FEATURED Festival restaurant: Flatbread Company Providence. Enjoy 15% off your food purchase. (Drinks not included.)
- UMelt (267 Thayer) 15% off purchase
- By Chloe (223 Thayer) 20% off purchase & free cookie for every child under 12.
- Kabob and Curry (261 Thayer) 15% food plus parking validation* with food purchase
- Subway (114 Waterman) 10% off purchase
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe (272 Thayer) 15% off smoothie and food
- La Creperie (82 Fones Alley) 20% off purchase
- B.good (269 Thayer) 15% off purchase
- Andreas (268 Thayer) 10% off food purchase and free parking validation
- Ben & Jerry’s (224 Thayer) 10% off food purchase with some exclusions
- PIE IN THE SKY (225 Thayer) 20% off entire purchase
- Impact Everything (297 Thayer) 20% off all items with child related causes
- Spectrum-India (252 Thayer) 30% off any item $30 or more plus parking validation* with $3 purchase
- Free admission to RISD Museum (entrances at 20 N. Main St. and 224 Benefit St.)
- Base Station VR Lounge (286 Thayer, 2nd floor) 20% off a Virtual Reality Session
- $3/day parking at 450 Brook St. (at Cushing St.) parking lot February 17-19
- Some merchants offer free parking with validated purchase; see each merchant for validation details.
PARTY AT THE FESTIVAL
Looking for a memorable gift or party idea? Shower someone special with films at the Festival and tasty eats on Thayer Street. Buy tickets online for a Festival screening (tip: save with a Film Fanatic 10-pack), book a table at Flatbread Company (15% off food purchases with your free PCFF Patron Perk Card) and all that’s left is to pick up a cake* and light the candles. Perfect for winter birthday parties!
*When reserving your table, ask about the restaurant’s cake policy as some restrictions may apply.
Other restaurant discount offers are listed in “Patron Perks” above.
Celebrating someone’s birthday at the Festival? Let us know and we’ll acknowledge the occasion before the show!
MAIN VENUES (Festival map)
- Avon Cinema – 260 Thayer Street, Providence
- Gilder Center for the Arts, Wheeler School – 228 Angell Street, Providence
- Metcalf Auditorium, Chace Center/RISD Museum – 20 North Main Street, Providence
- RISD Auditorium, RISD – 17 Canal Walk (across from RISD Museum), Providence
SATELLITE VENUES (Festival map)
- AS220 / Main Stage – 115 Empire St., Providence
- Everett Company Stage School – 9 Duncan Ave., Providence
- Providence Athenaeum – 251 Benefit St., Providence
- Barrington Public Library – 281 County Rd., Barrington
- Providence Community Library branches:
- Olneyville Library – 1 Olneyville Square, Providence
- Washington Park Library – 1316 Broad St., Providence
- Wanskuck Library – 233 Veazie St., Providence
THE FINE PRINT
- All seating is general admission.
- All venues are wheelchair accessible.
- Come snow, rain, or sun, we look forward to seeing you at the movies, and alas, cannot provide refunds or exchanges if the weather turns inclement. Should we be forced to cancel a paid show, courtesy passes will be granted upon request for a future Festival show.
- All sales are final.
TRAVEL AND LODGING
The Festival’s main venues are within a stone’s throw of historic downtown Providence. Find directions to venues, and transit options on our Festival Map.
Metcalf Auditorium (RISD Museum) and RISD Auditorium visitor parking is available at metered spots on the street and in private lots. Visitors may park for free in RISD faculty/staff lots (map) on February 24-25. Accessible parking is available in the RISD faculty/staff lot on the corner of North Main and Waterman streets. Find additional parking resources here.
Gilder Center and Avon Cinema visitor parking is available at metered and unmetered spots on the street. Discounted parking ($3/day) in the 450 Brook St. lot is also available February 17-19 when you present your Patron Perk Card (available at the box office) upon exiting.
Kennedy Plaza, the hub of Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) bus system, is just a five-minute walk to our RISD venues and a 20-minute uphill walk to Avon Cinema/Gilder Center venues. Or take the bus straight to the door; many bus stops are located near all main venues and satellite venues. Use the handy RIPTA Trip Planner. Fares are $2/ride, $6/day-pass.
Providence Train Station is served by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and Amtrak Acela and Regional service. The train station is an easy 10-minute walk to our RISD venues or a 20-minute uphill walk to the Avon Cinema/Gilder Center venues. Transfer to a bus line in nearby Kennedy Plaza or enjoy a stroll through beautiful downtown Providence.
Occasionally we have a warm winter day perfect for biking! Pedal your way downtown using one of the metro area’s urban bike trails.
–Additional transit details can be found here.
Transform your Festival visit into a weekend vacation in downtown Providence!
Omni Providence Hotel (1 West Exchange Street, Providence) welcomes Festival audiences for $139/night February 17-27, when booked by February 2. Use this link to receive the special Festival rate. The Omni Kids Crew program caters to our youngest film fans. Upon check-in, kids receive an activity backpack filled with fun items designed specifically for them! Kids are welcome to splash in the pool and also receive milk and cookies delivered to their guest room on the first night. The hotel is connected by enclosed walkway to the Providence Place Mall where you will find shopping, restaurants and a Dave & Busters arcade.
Food and drink may be enjoyed in all venue lobbies before and after screenings but are prohibited in theaters except the Avon Cinema. You’ll find hot popcorn, snacks and cold drinks all day at the Avon.
Near Avon Cinema and Gilder Center: Enjoy fresh popcorn, cold drinks and your favorite movie treats at Avon Cinema. Many restaurants and shops are located along Thayer Street—an easy walk from Avon Cinema and the Gilder Center. For details about Festival shopping/dining discounts, refer to the “Patron Perks” section of this FAQ guide.
Near Metcalf Auditorium/RISD Museum and RISD Auditorium: Food trucks will be located outside the RISD Museum’s North Main Street lobby on February 24-25 (see below). Café Pearl, located at the Museum’s Benefit Street entrance, will also satisfy hungry moviegoers with Bolt Coffee beverages and light breakfast and lunch fare between 7:30am – 4:00pm.
- Mijos Tacos, an LA-style taco truck serving tacos, burritos, tortas, quesadillas, tostadas and imported cane sugar Mexican sodas, opens at approximately 12:45 PM on Saturday, Feb. 24 at the RISD Museum entrance.
- Rocket Fine Street Food will serve freshly prepared food using natural, hormone-free, organic ingredients, all fresh and locally sourced whenever possible. The result? A deeply satisfying meal that summons coy, if not broad smiles. Grab a bite on Sunday, Feb. 25 between 11-2:30 at the RISD Museum entrance.
PCFF IS MORE THAN MOVIES!
REEL CONNECTIONS presentations are open to all ages to better understand challenging and diverse subject matter. Filmmakers, performances, and discussion accompany selected films to spark richer family conversations and build community connections that can enhance and extend the film’s impact. Look for the megaphone symbol on the Festival schedule and visit our website for updates.
OTHER THINGS TO DO IN PROVIDENCE:
Our Creative Capital is bursting with family-friendly experiences! Find attractions, hours and details at GoProvidence.com and peruse the city’s arts and culture calendar at ArtsNowRI. There’s always something special happening in Providence!